What’s most important to know about campus parking
UNC Charlotte parking permits are required to park anytime the University is open and will be enforced on the first day of class. If you have not already done so, purchasing online is the easiest way to get your permit. We’ll have it waiting for you in an express pick-up line!
- If you do not have a permit, you must pay to park in a Visitor parking area. If you only need to park for an hour or two, Union, Cone, East 1, South Village, or CRI decks or Lot 4 pay-by-space have designated short-term visitor parking.Visitor parking map
- You may buy a temporary permit from clickandpark.com for $4.00/day that will allow you park in North Deck for up to four days, Monday, Aug. 22 – Thursday, Aug. 25. Details below.
- Temporary permits are also available for purchase in person from Parking and Transportation Services. Temporary permits are not valid in visitor parking areas and do not work in gated decks or lots. Price for these permits is $6.00/day.
- Peak parking demand will occur Monday – Thursday, 9:00 AM. – 2:00 PM (based on class schedule).
- The Parking and Transportation Services Call Center is open weekdays, 5:00 AM Monday continuously through 10:00 PM Friday to answer any parking or transportation related questions or concerns: 704-687-0161.
- If you need to park for short-term loading/unloading, call 704-687-0161 for permission and direction.
- Gated lots and decks will be restricted to those with gate access from 5:00 AM Monday continuously through 10:00 PM on Friday evening, except during holidays when the University is closed.
- Single and multi-space meters are enforced 24 hours per day, seven days per week, except during holidays when the University is closed.
Discounted temporary permits available
- PaTS is offering $4.00 temporary permits online for parking in North Deck for the first four (4) days of class (Monday, Aug. 22 – Thursday, Aug. 25).
- This option gives a $6.00 savings over the Visitor parking day rate and frees Visitor decks/lots for those who need short-term parking.
- The temporary North Deck parking permit can be purchased at: https://uncc.clickandpark.com; choose the “Fall Rush” permit option for the needed dates. Print the permit and display on your vehicle’s dash while parked in North Deck.
- An express shuttle will be provided between North Deck and the Student Union from 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Aug. 22-25.
- The campus Green Line shuttle also serves North Deck from 7:00 AM until 9:30 PM Monday-Friday. SafeRide evening transportation serves all of campus from 6:00 PM until 2:00 AM seven days a week.
- Program expires on Thursday, Aug. 25 at 11:59 PM. Vehicles without the proper Resident, Commuter, or Faculty/Staff permit are subject to citations after this time.
New policies for motorcycles and mopeds
- The State of North Carolina now requires mopeds to be registered with the state (§ 20-53.4). As a result, UNC Charlotte has instituted a policy that requires mopeds to be treated like motorcycles in relation to parking policies and procedures and has added designated motorcycle/moped parking areas in lots across campus.
- Mopeds are now required to have a UNC Charlotte digital parking permit, as is required for motorcycles.
- MOPEDS ARE NO LONGER PERMITTED TO DRIVE ON SIDEWALKS OR PARK IN ANY AREA OTHER THAN A PROPER PARKING SPACE. Mopeds may not park in bike racks. Failure to follow policy may result in fines and/or immobilization/impound.
- Detailed motorcycle/moped policies, permit options, and a list of designated motorcycle/moped locations is available on the PaTS website.
- To register a moped with the State of North Carolina, please see the NCDOT website.
Introducing mobile payment for some Visitor Parking areas
- PaTS is pleased to introduce a mobile payment app that allows visitors to pay for parking, extend a metered parking time, receive time expiration alerts, and view receipts.
- The Parkmobile payment app is a free download available at Android and iOS app stores.
- Mobile payment has been established in the following locations:
- Lot 4
- Lot 28
- Lot 30
- Meters in Robinson Hall Lot
- Meters in the SAC Handicap Lot
- Meters in Lot 13
- Meters in Lot 16
- Meters in Lot 20
- Meters in Lot 21
- Greek Village (any unrestricted space in lot)
- Campus Parking Map
- When using mobile payment, there is no need to use the parking meter in the lot.
- For more information see pats.uncc.edu/parkmobile
- The mobile payment option will be added to additional parking areas across campus as the program grows. It is not currently available for Visitor parking in any of the decks.
Student permit purchase and pick-up
Student permit purchase and pick-up will be at the Student Union first floor Art Gallery (#69 on campus map) during the following dates/times:
Thursday Aug. 18, 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Friday Aug. 19, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Saturday Aug. 20, 11:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Sunday Aug. 21, 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM
- Monday Aug. 22, 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Tuesday Aug. 23, 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Wednesday Aug. 24, 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Thursday Aug. 25, 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Additional Permit Info
- A limited number of discount remote parking permits are still available to commuters for Lot 6A (corner of Cameron Blvd. and John Kirk Road, served by the campus shuttle).
- Permit hangtags have a Radio Frequency ID (RFID) chip that will open gated areas appropriate for your permit type.
- You may add additional vehicles to a permit at no charge but the vehicles must be registered in the name of permit holder, their spouse, or a parent/guardian.
- Permits are to be displayed from the rearview mirror or on the driver’s side dash in a PaTS-approved clear pouch. The entire permit must be visible. Dash pouches are available from the PaTS office at no charge.
- Typically, parking demand is exceptionally high during the first two weeks of Fall semester, particularly at Union Deck. Plan to either arrive before 8:00 AM or park in a lot toward the margins of campus and utilize the shuttle in to the center of campus.
- Parking is expected to be especially tight on Monday, Aug. 22 due to New Student Convocation and Tuesday, Aug. 23 due to the first full day of classes.
- Decks and lots closest to the center of campus fill quickly and early. Union Deck, East Deck 2, West Deck, and the lots closest to those decks, are often at peak capacity by 8:45 AM.
- Be prepared. Have a plan in mind for alterative parking if your first preference is full when you arrive. Parking map.
- Don’t circle a full lot or deck! That only adds to traffic congestion in or near parking decks and lots. Move to a lower-demand area such as North Deck, CRI Deck or Lot 6 (on Cameron near Campus Edge apartments). More detailed information on lot utilization is on our website. There are shuttle stops nearby for transportation to the center of campus if you don’t wish to walk.
- By the third week of classes, parking demand eases.
- Peak traffic times are 7:45 AM – 9:15 AM and 5:00 PM – 6:00 PM.
- All shuttles from off-campus housing complexes must load and unload passengers at the bus loop of East Deck 2 only, entering at the Main Entrance and exiting via Van Landingham Road. Students utilizing private shuttle services are advised to leave early due to campus congestion during the first two weeks of classes.
- If leaving campus between 5:00 and 6:00 PM, avoid exiting to John Kirk Drive by way of Van Landingham Road near Fretwell. Try using Mary Alexander Road to Mallard Creek Church Road or the bottom level of East Deck 2 that exits to Rt. 49 South (University City Blvd).
- If arriving on campus between 5:00 and 6:00 PM, avoid the John Kirk Drive Entrance at Van Landingham Road (near the Circle K). Instead, enter campus by using Cameron Blvd., the Front Entrance, Mary Alexander Road, or the bottom level of East Deck 2 from 49 South (University City Blvd).
- Follow @unccparking on Twitter. PaTS uses Twitter to inform of detours, delays, and other relevant information. For those who don’t use Twitter, the same information is fed directly to the PaTS website home page.
Campus Shuttle Service
- Full service begins Monday, Aug. 22. Campus Shuttle stop lists and route maps are available online. This service is fare-free to all UNC Charlotte students, faculty/staff and visitors.
- Some changes have been made to campus shuttle routes that should yield major improvement in service. SafeRide vans will be running modified Red and Green Line routes in the evening to make evening safety transportation much more efficient and extend shuttle service until 2:00 AM with weekend evening service, too! See pats.uncc.edu/transportation/campus-shuttle for more information.
- Real-time campus shuttle and SafeRide Evening Safety transportation tracking and arrival information is available via smartphone or website with the UNCC NextRide app (FREE at Android and iOS app stores) or nextride.uncc.edu.
- Parking for individuals with mobility impairments is available on campus ONLY to those who have a DMV-issued disability placard and a valid UNC Charlotte Parking Permit registered to them.
- SafeRide provides disability transport throughout the inner core of campus for those with mobility impairments who have registered for the service, Monday – Friday, 7:30 AM – 5:30 PM. Services require registration through the Office of Disability Services and completion of a Disability Medical Verification Request form. SafeRide is also available to those who need assistance on a temporary basis (such as recent surgery, lower limb injuries, visual impairments, or chronic diseases that impact stamina). This is also arranged through the Office of Disability Services, Fretwell 230 (704-687-4355). After completion of the required form, Disability Services will verify and send email confirmation of eligibility (usually processed within 24 hours or less).
- SafeRide Evening Safety Transport makes getting around campus safer, faster, and easier after dark. Service runs seven days a week, 6:00 PM – 2:00 AM, picking up those waiting at marked stops on a continuous looping route. Vehicles keep moving and do not arrive or depart at set times. Details regarding SafeRide Evening Safety Transport, including a list of designated stops and route map are available on our website. SafeRide shuttle tracking and arrival information is available via smartphone or website with the UNCC NextRide app or nextride.uncc.edu.
- Back to top
For specific inquiries and concerns, the PaTS call center is available 24 hours on weekdays, 5:00 AM Monday through 10:00 PM Friday at 704-687-0161, or utilize the contact form on the Parking and Transportation Services website or email:email@example.com. We're also on Twitter @unccparking.