UNC Charlotte Parking Permits are required and will be enforced on the first day of class. If you have not already done so, purchasing online is the easiest way to get your permit. We’ll have it waiting for you in an express pick-up line the next morning after you order it.
Student permit purchase and pick-up will be at the Student Union first floor Art Gallery (#69 on campus map):
- Thursday, August 14, 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Friday, August 15, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday, August 16, 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Sunday, August 17, 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Monday, August 18, 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, August 19, 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 20, 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Discount remote parking is still available to commuters and Faculty/Staff for Lot 6A (corner of Cameron Blvd. and John Kirk Rd., served by the campus shuttle) and Lot 27 (a walk-in lot near the Harris Alumni House) until sold out.
Permit hangtags have a Radio Frequency ID (RFID) chip that will open gated areas appropriate for your permit type. You may register more than one vehicle to a permit for an additional $15 fee. • Permits are to be displayed from the rear view mirror or on the driver’s side dash in a PaTS-approved clear pouch. The entire permit must be visible. (Dash pouches are available from the PaTS office at no charge).
- you aren't able to get your permit in advance of the first day of class, park in Visitor Parking at the Union Deck, Cone Deck, East Deck 1, South Village Deck or CRI Deck. Upon request, you will be given a voucher for one (1) hour of parking when you purchase your permit.
- you’re waiting for a financial aid refund or otherwise need to wait to buy a permit, PaTS will be selling temporary permits for $6 per day at the permit purchase/pick-up stations in the Student Union from August 14-20. You may buy temporary daily permits for as many days as you think you’ll need. Please note that temporary daily permits do not allow access to gated areas.
- Parking gates in all gated lots and decks will remain closed from 5:00 a.m. Monday continuously through 10:00 p.m. on Friday evening, except during holidays when the University is closed.
- Union Deck lower level, North Deck, and Lot 8 are now gated and restricted by permit type.
- As of August 18, the Parking and Transportation Services Call Center is open from 5:00 a.m. on Monday continuously through 10:00 p.m. Friday evening to answer any parking or transportation related concerns: 704-687-0161.
- Single and multi-space meters are enforced 24 hours per day, seven days per week, except during holidays when the University is closed.
- All visitor decks are now automated. Keep your entrance ticket with you and pay at the pay station before returning to your vehicle. This allows traffic to flow smoothly in the exit lanes.
- Typically, the first two weeks of fall semester is when parking demand is exceptionally high, particularly at Union Deck. Plan for it by either arriving before 8:00 a.m., or parking in a lot toward the margins of campus and taking the Shuttle into the campus core.
- Expect parking demand (and campus traffic circulation) to be especially high the first three days of class. That's because nearly EVERYONE (and their parents) will be on campus conducting business, buying books and parking permits, and going to class.
- If you don't have a permit by the first day of class, you will not be permitted to park in student lots and decks. You will be directed to visitor parking at East 1, Cone, Union, CRI or South Village decks.
- Peak parking demand will occur Monday – Thursday, 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. (based on class schedule). Expect decks and lots closest to the center of campus to fill up quickly and early.
- Have a plan in mind for an alternative parking area if your first choice is full when you arrive. Parking map.
- Circling filled parking areas makes traffic flow worse. Lot 6 (on Cameron Blvd. near John Kirk Rd.), North Deck, CRI Deck, and South Village Deck are lesser-used and are served by the Campus Shuttle.
- Hang in there! By the third week of classes, parking demand eases.
- Peak traffic times are 7:45 a.m. – 9:15 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- If leaving campus between 5:00 and 6:00 p.m., avoid exiting to John Kirk Drive by way of Van Landingham Rd. near Fretwell. Try using Mary Alexander Rd. to Mallard Creek Church Rd. or the bottom level of East Deck 2 that exits to University City Blvd. (N.C. 49 South).
- If arriving on campus between 5:00 and 6:00 p.m., avoid the John Kirk Drive Entrance at Van Landingham Rd. near the Circle K station. Enter campus by using Cameron Blvd., the Front Entrance off of University City Blvd. (N.C. 49), Mary Alexander Rd., or the bottom level of East Deck 2 from University City Blvd. (N.C. 49 South).
- Pedestrians have the right of way on all crosswalks on campus unless there is a traffic signal, which takes precedence. The traffic circle at Mary Alexander and Van Landingham Roads is controlled by a traffic signal, which must be obeyed by both pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
- Follow @unccparking on Twitter. PaTS uses Twitter to instantly inform you of detours, delays and other relevant information. For those who don’t use Twitter, the same information is fed directly to the parking website and appears near the top of the home page.
A comprehensive guide to Everything You Need to Know About Parking and Transportation is available as a printer-friendly PDF.
For specific inquiries and concerns, the Parking and Transportation Services website has a contact form or you may email email@example.com directly. Or call the PaTS call center, 704-687-0161, open continuously each week from 5:00 a.m. Monday through 10:00 p.m. Friday, beginning Monday, August 18.
Questions? Call the PaTS Call Center, 704-687-0161 or mention @unccparking on Twitter.