Directory & FAQs

Auxiliary Services Directory

49er Card and Meal Plans Office 704-687-7337
Auxiliary Services Office 704-687-7352
Auxiliary Services Business Coordinator Marisa Elston
Auxiliary Services Director Ken Field
Barnes & Noble at UNC Charlotte Bookstore 704-687-7050
Barnes & Noble at UNC Charlotte Store Manager Cheri Griffith-Kline
Bookstore and Licensing Program Manager Rachel Skipworth
Chartwells Dining Services and Catering Office 704-687-0690
Chartwells Dining Services Resident District Manager Sarah Lynch
Chartwells Dining Services Registered Dietician Emily Holdorf
Food Services Program Manager Jody J. Thompson
ID Card Office 704-687-7040
Mail & Package Services Director Horace Lytch
REPROS Copy Center 704-687-0809
Reprographics, Vending and ATM Program Manager Rick Torres
Union Station (U.S. Passports, shipping and graphics services) 704-687-5803
Vending and ATM Services 704-687-7333

Business Services Directory

Associate Vice Chancellor Keith Wassum
49er Card Technology Support Specialist Anthony Smucler
Business Systems Analyst Gabe Gerber
Business Officer Charisse Madina
Digital Marketing Specialist Katie Turner
Facility Planner Drew Averitt
Marketing Director Robin Shroyer
Communications Manager LouAnn Lamb
Web Developer and Application Integration Specialist Michael Pugh



Meal Plans

How can I check to see which meal plan I have chosen?

You have up until plans are billed to view your plan choice through your housing contract in RMS; after the meal plan has been billed you may view your choice by logging into your Student Banner account and review your bill.

What if I choose a meal plan and then change my mind?

Before Aug. 18 when the plan is loaded onto the 49er ID Card, all students can change meal plans without incurring a charge. After that, students may request changes to their meal plans, up through the room change period (Sept. 8 for Fall 2017 and Jan. 26 for Spring 2018) with a $25.00 Meal Plan Processing Charge. Meal plan charges are prorated, whether the student has used the meal plan or not, starting Aug. 18 (Fall) and Jan. 5 (Spring).

After the room change period, no other meal plan changes may be made for the current semester. This also applies to students who have moved from required housing to non-required housing or off campus.

To make a change, submit a Meal Plan Selection Form, found on the “Banner Self Service” section of the portal. You will receive an email confirmation once the request is reviewed and processed.

Can my financial aid or student loans pay for my meal plan?

Financial aid can pay for your meal plan if you have enough to cover tuition and housing charges first. Financial aid will not prepay for Optional Dining Account (ODA) or 49er Account funds.

How does my meal plan work?

Your 49er ID card provides access to your meal plan. The 49er Card system automatically (and in ‘real time’) keeps track of the two parts of your meal plan — the meal swipes and the declining balance (DB). Meal swipes are used for meals in the all-you-care-to-eat dining facilities: SoVi in South Village Crossing, which is adjacent to the high-rise residence halls, or in Crown Commons located in the Student Union. The plan is accessed by swiping your 49er ID card when entering.

Meals in the 7-Day Unlimited Meals Plan may be used at any time Monday through Sunday. Meals in 5-Day Unlimited Meals Plan may be used at any time Monday through Friday but are not available for use on weekends. You may use as many swipes as you want for yourself but guest swipes are not permitted for use with Unlimited Meal Plans.

Meals in the Block Plans — the 85, 135, 160 and 185 meal swipe plans — are available for the semester and are counted down as they are used. Guest swipes are allowed with Block Plans.

The declining balance (DB) portion of any meal plans is like a prepaid debit account and is designed for use at all dining locations, including the retail venues like Chick-fil-A, Starbucks, Outtakes convenience stores, etc. Each time you use DB you will receive a receipt showing the amount you have spent as well as your remaining balance.

Meal plans are good for the semester and allotted meals and DB both end at the conclusion of the semester.

Which meal plan would be best for me?

Consider the following when selecting your meal plan:

  • The number of meals and snacks you usually eat in a week
  • How often you will dine in all-you-care to eat facilities
  • Your class schedule and where you will spend weekends

Consider an Unlimited Plan if you prefer to eat smaller meals throughout the day. Meal swipes are truly unlimited throughout service hours, and, at South Village, can be used for take-out at SoVi2Go.

A Block Meal Plan is a good choice if you eat fewer large meals during a given week. Meal swipes are used in the dining halls, SoVi and Crown Commons, and may also be used at SoVi2Go. The 85 Block Meal Plan contains 85 meal swipes which average about 5 meals per week; the 135 Block Meal Plan about 8 meals per week; the 160 Block Meal Plan about 10 meals per week; and the 185 Block Meal Plan about 11 meals per week. The meals in these plans may be eaten at any time and the register will display your remaining meal count each time a swipe is used. You may use more than one meal in a dining period and use up to two swipes per meal period to allow others to dine with you. With both Unlimited Plans and Block Plans, the declining balance (DB) portion of the meal plan may be used in all other dining locations.

With both Unlimited Plans and Block Plans, the declining balance (DB) portion of the meal plan may be used in all dining locations including theater and sports concessions and campus convenience stores.

Still need help selecting a plan? Call 704-687-7337 to speak to a Meal Plans specialist who will help you.

What if I run out of DB funds? May I add more DB?

No, but you can supplement your meal plan by depositing funds into the Optional Dining account (ODA). ODA has a minimum deposit of $5; funds carry forward and are available as long as the student is enrolled, from semester-to-semester and year-to-year.


Do I need to bring the package notification email with me?

No. Only your UNCC ID is required.

I am moving home for the summer. Will my mail automatically be forwarded to my home address?

Yes and no. Students residing in the residence halls will not have their mail automatically forwarded unless they put in a Change of Address form with Mail & Package Services; this also pertains to students who move off campus. It is the student's responsibility to file a Change of Address card at Mail & Package Services before you move off campus. Fill the form out, and mail it DIRECTLY TO US at:

UNC Charlotte Mail & Package Services
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte NC 28223

Note: Do not use the prepaid service on the back of the post card, as this may take up to 4 weeks for it to arrive at UNC Charlotte Mail & Package Services. Place the card in an envelope and mail it in directly to Mail & Package Services, or drop it off in person at Mail & Package Services. Do not allow the USPS personnel to talk you out of mailing it this way – they do not understand that the USPS does NOT forward your mail, we do… For questions or assistance on filling out a change of address form, please contact 704-687-0383.
Note: Mail will automatically forward to students who are renting a campus mailbox at the Prospector or Student Union location.

I am moving back to school after summer break. Do I need to fill out a change of address form to receive my mail at school next semester?

Yes, each time you move you will be responsible for filling out a change of address form.

What will happen to my mail if I move off Campus for the summer and I do not fill out a change of address form?

All mail that is received for students is checked against the current roster provided by Housing. If you are not listed on the roster, your mail will be returned to sender until you turn in a change of address card to Mail & Package Services. For questions or assistance on filling out a change of address form please contact 704 687 0383.

I changed dorm rooms and I think someone has sent me mail to my old address. Will I still get that mail?

Yes, we receive updated rosters several times a week. Each piece of mail delivered to the University is checked against the most recent roster to ensure proper delivery. If you feel there has been an error in delivery, call Mail & Package Services at 704-687-0383.

Textbook Rental

How much will I save by renting instead of purchasing a textbook at Barnes & Noble at UNC Charlotte?

You can save 55% off the new book price. Keep in mind that many purchased (i.e., non-rental) titles – including used books sold at 25% off the new book price – may be sold back at the end of the semester for up to 55% of the original price, so the savings depends on the individual title. There are pros and cons of both buying and renting textbooks.

What happens if I don't return a rented book on time, or if it's lost or stolen?

You are responsible for returning the book by the deadline specified in your agreement. If the book is lost, stolen, or not returned on time, there is a charge in attition to the original rental fee equal to 75% of the new book price, plus a 7.5% processing fee.

When are books due back?

The rental period is for the duration of a semester. Books are due back by the last day of finals. You can return books in person or mail them to the bookstore.

What if I rent a title, then later decide to purchase it?

You may convert your rental to a purchase but only during the first two weeks of class.

What if I drop the class I've rented the book for?

The return policy for drop/add is the same as for a purchased book: You have until the end of the drop period to return the book, with a drop slip and receipt.

May I highlight a rented book?

Yes, you may highlight or mark in a rented book in the same way as if you'd purchased the book with plans of selling it back to the bookstore at the end of the semeter. In other words, reasonable highlights and markings are acceptable as long as the book remains in salable condition.

What are the payment options for book rental?

Cash, check, credit card, debit card, 49er Account, or Barnes & Noble gift cards. However, a valid credit card with an expiration date later than the rental return due date must also be provided to complete the rental agreement.

How are titles selected to become part of UNC Charlotte's rental program?

Rental title selection is based on several criteria:

  • Rental titles are iodentified by Barnes & Noble if they have a high national potential for resale.
  • A title that does not have a high national potential for resale may still be included in the program if a UNC Charlotte instructor commits to using it for at least four consecutive semesters.
  • Books in the program must be stand-alone (i.e., not packaged with software, access codes, or other items).
  • "Consumable" books (containing loose or perforated pages) are not eligible for the program.

Why is the campus bookstore offering textbook rental?

Because students asked for it and because the University, together with our bookstore partners, Barnes & Noble College Bookstores, are committed to actively pursuing ways to make textbooks more affordable.

Cap & Gown

Where do I get my cap and gown?

Caps and gowns are available at the UNC Charlotte Bookstore each semester starting with the first day of the Commencement Fair. The deadline to pick up caps and gowns is November 30.

What size gown do I need and when do I get measured for it?

Gowns are sized by height so there is no need for special measuring; they tend to run short so if you prefer a longer look, select a gown that is an inch or two longer than your actual height. Caps are one size fit all.

How much will my cap and gown cost?

There is no added expense for your cap and gown. The matriculation fee covers the cost of your cap and gown and diploma.

What color are UNC Charlotte caps and gowns?


I am a candidate for a graduate degree. Where do I get my hood?

Hoods for master's candidates are available at the bookstore. The color of your hood is associated with the degree you have earned. Master's degree candidates wear their hoods to the ceremony.

Hoods for Ph.D. candidates are part of the matriculation fee. Doctoral candidates do not have to pick hoods up at the bookstore: the hoods will be brought directly to the ceremony. Some doctoral candidates who will need regalia on a regular basis in their professional career may opt to purchase the UNC Charlotte custom regalia.

Are hoods for masters degrees included in the matriculation fee?

YES, a hood is included with cap and gown for those receiving master's degrees. There are also hoods available for purchase for those who desire to "upgrade" to a higher quality hood.

I'm a member of an organization/honor society; where do I get my honor cords and/or stole?

Honor cords and stoles are available through the organization that they represent. Please contact your organizational representative for specific details.

Can faculty order their regalia from the Bookstore?

Yes, the bookstore is proud to assist faculty with their regalia needs by either ordering custom regalia or by renting regalia for specific ceremonies. Rental regalia can be ordered online starting one month before the Commencement Fair. The last day to order online is one month before Commencement.

How much is the rental regalia and what does it entail?

Rental regalia includes a black on black doctoral gown, doctoral hood from your alma mater, and a mortar board with a gold tassel. If time permits, it is sometimes possible to rent regalia with one's associated degree colors. If this is your preference, the bookstore will need to know no later than one month before Commencement. Please contact the Bookstore for the current rental information.

How do I order custom regalia?

Custom regalia can be ordered from the Bookstore. Please contact Linda Burke at or 704-687-7072. Arrival can be expected in 6-8 weeks. Custom gowns are not returnable and (regrettably) faculty discounts at the Bookstore do not apply.

When is the Commencement Fair?

Commencement fairs at UNC Charlotte are usually sponsored by the Bookstore in October (Fall Semester) and March (Spring Semester); please refer to the Bookstore Calendar or contact store management for specific dates pertaining to the current semester.

What else happens at the Commencement Fair besides picking up my cap and gown?

Representatives from Balfour/Artcarved will be present to assist graduating students in ordering invitations and selecting a class ring, pendant, or pin, and make connections with the Alumni Association.

If I miss Commencement Fair can I still order a ring?

Balfour is the exclusive producer of the official UNC Charlotte class rings. They will be on campus two other weeks during the semester. Check the store calendar or ask the store manager for specific dates. You may also contact class-ring representatives.

If I miss Commencement Fair, can I still order invitations?

Certainly; personalized invitations can be ordered online at  Balfour, or Signature Announcements.

I've waited too late to order personalized invitations, what can I do?

The Bookstore carries generic invitations that can be purchased in packs of 10. These are identical to the personalized invitations – including the double envelope – save for the omission of your name and the time of the ceremony. Enclosure cards on which to inscribe this missing information are also available.

How can I find details about the commencement ceremony?

Everything you need to know about the ceremony, including tickets to commencement, ceremony times, and directions, can be found at the UNC Charlotte Commencement website.


What is a Trademark?

A trademark is a word(s), logo or package design, or a combination of them, used by a manufacturer or merchant to identify its goods and distinguish them from others (Borchard, "A Trademark is Not a Copyright or a Patent," 2002).

What is Trademark Licensing?

Trademark licensing is a contractual relationship under which a trademark owner grants another the right to use a mark, subject to terms of the contract. Trademark licensing does not transfer ownership of the mark (CLC, "Licensing Basics," 2003).

What is IMG College Licensing?

IMG College Licensing Company (IMG) is the licensing representative for UNC Charlotte. IMG is responsible for administering the licensing program, including processing applications, collecting royalties, enforcing trademarks and pursuing new market opportunities. IMG may be contacted at or by contacting our representative, Chrysta Bayliss, or 770-956-0520.

What qualifies as a UNC Charlotte trademark, logo, or symbol?

Any mark, logo, symbol, nickname, letter(s), word(s) or combination of these that can be associated with the University qualifies as a trademark.

Are there additional trademarks, logos, or symbols that exist for special use only?

Many of the University's departments, divisions and student groups have developed trademarks to promote their specific group. These marks, however, are used only by these areas and are not available to the general public. Any unauthorized use of these marks is considered an infringement of our trademark rights and we will take the legal steps necessary to correct violations. Examples of departments with registered trademarks that fall into this category are Alumni Affairs and Niner Nation.

What is the difference between (R), "TM", and "SM"?

The symbol "TM" stands for trademark. The symbol "SM" stands for service mark. Both of these are informal symbols that indicate you claim common law trademark rights to a name, or logo. These two symbols are used prior to obtaining full federal registration.

The symbol (R), the phrase "Registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office," or the abbreviation "Reg U.S. Pat. & Tm. Off." denote that the mark has been granted full federal registration. This means that the owner of the mark may prosecute anyone who uses the mark without permission.

Who must be licensed?

Any individual or manufacturer wishing to use the marks, logos and symbols of the University must obtain a license. Although departments and student groups affiliated with the University do not need to be licensed themselves, they must use a licensed vendor to produce items bearing the University's marks. It is typically much easier to work with an established University licensee than to try and license a new product or idea. Both the University Trademark Licensing Program Office and IMG College Licensing can provide you with information on the products produced by all licensees so you can match your needs with the right company. A list of current licensees by product is available on our Licensed Vendor page.

What products can be licensed?

The University allows its marks to be applied to a wide variety of products. Apparel items, i.e. shirts, sweats, hats, scarves, jackets, and children's clothing items, are the most popular. But our marks appear on many non-apparel items as well. Examples of non-apparel items are golf accessories, key chains, frames, glassware, blankets, umbrellas, jewelry, and notebooks.

However, the University does not allow its marks to be applied on consumables, health & beauty products, or tobacco and alcohol related products.

A determination as to whether or not an item is acceptable is made at the time the vendor submits a request for a new product approval.

Are there any products that UNC Charlotte will not license?

Yes. UNC Charlotte will not allow its marks to be applied on consumables, health & beauty products, or tobacco and alcohol related products.

Do departments and University offices need permission to utilize the University's trademarks?

Yes! University schools, departments, and affiliated organizations may use the University's name or marks in their literature, signage, etc, but must have the design approved prior to publication and use by the Publications Office. If the school, department or affiliated organization wishes to use the University's name or marks on items to be given away or used as uniforms, the design must be submitted to the Trademark Licensing Program for approval.

A licensed vendor must be used whether royalties are required or not. Please remember that the University's marks may not be altered in any way. You may not incorporate the University's marks with a commercial vendor's mark.

What process must be followed if a department wants to have the University's name or logo on items such as T-shirts, novelty items, etc?

Departments must go through the Purchasing Department to place an order for these items. The Purchasing Agent will forward information to the Licensing Department and obtain permission. Please be aware that University departments are required to adhere to the same guidelines as commercial vendors.

How to become a Licensed Vendor

IMG College Licensing (IMG) is the licensing representative for UNC Charlotte. IMG is responsible for administering the licensing program, including processing applications, collecting royalties, enforcing trademarks and pursuing new market opportunities. IMG may be contacted at or by contacting our representative, Chrysta Bayliss, at or 770-956-0520.

There are three type of licenses:

Restricted: Designed primarily for locally-based vendors to sell to internal campus departments and student groups; products are not for re-sale but are for internal consumption, uniforms, or promotional give-aways.

Local: Designed for in-state vendors that wish to obtain a full retail license to sell merchandise; limit of 5 universities on the agreement within the state or nearby region (150 miles).

Standard: Designed for larger companies with established products and distribution channels; unlimited number of universities.

Not every vendor that applies for a licensed is approved.

Items such as compliance history, accounting history, marketing plan, product/design uniqueness, product quality, and market need/saturation are taken into account when determining whether or not a vendor will be licensed.

Every vendor who is licensed is required to attach the "Officially Licensed Collegiate Products" label shown here.

Can a University department, employee, or campus organization permit a company to use a UNC Charlotte trademark?

No! University schools, departments, and affiliated organizations may not assign, sublicense, or modify the name UNC Charlotte or The University of North Carolina at Charlotte or UNC Charlotte or any marks of the University. All products which University schools, departments, or affiliates wish to have produced bearing the name and marks of the University are regulated by the Trademark Licensing Program.

Can a University department or campus organization use the University's logos in printed information describing the services of their department or organization?

Absolutely! But it is important to use the marks correctly. Here is the University graphics standard guide. Please contact Richard McDevitt, Director of Marketing, for specifics.

How do you know that the product you're buying is officially licensed by the University?

Look for the label. Every vendor who is licensed is required to attach the "Officially Licensed Collegiate Products" label shown here. Be sure that the item you purchase is as authentic as your support for UNC Charlotte. And because each licensed vendor returns a portion of the money paid for the item to the University, purchasing only items that are licensed supports UNC Charlotte. Please support the vendors that support our University. Look for the label!

How do I report possible trademark infringement?

The UNC Charlotte Trademark Licensing Program is committed to protecting UNC Charlotte's trademarks and the reputation they represent. We work with IMG College Licensing and law enforcement agencies to enforce our trademark rights. No use of UNC Charlotte trademarks is permitted without written consent of the UNC Charlotte Trademark Licensing Program or Publications Office. Any information regarding possible trademark infringement should be reported to Chrysta Bayliss at or 770-956-0520.