Smart Lockers

You will receive an email notification from Mail and Package Services stating that you have received a package. This email will note if your package is available for pick up in the MPS Smart Lockers, at the Mail Package Pick-Up Window or if it is located in a personal mailbox at Union Station. Packages will only be available for pick up in Union Station if you have paid for and leased a separate mailbox.

The MPS Smart Lockers are located in Lower Prospector at the base of the stairs near Mail and Package Services. You will be notified by email once your package has arrived and been processed by Mail and Package Services.

This email will include information on which locker bank your package is located in, which kiosk you need to use and your collection pin.

Once you have accessed the correct kiosk, you can scan your 49er ID or input your collection pin.

The locker associated with your package will then automatically open. Please retrieve your package(s) and close the door.

See a mailroom staff member if you accidentally close the locker door before collecting your packages. Do not attempt to pry open the door.

Mail and Package Services will make a concerted effort to combine packages into one locker if you have received more than one package. You should still double-check your email to ensure you don’t have packages in multiple lockers waiting for you.

Please do not attempt to pick up your packages until you are ready to retrieve them all. Opening and closing a locker will inform Mail and Package Services that the locker has been emptied and can now be filled with another package. Additionally, your collection pin/49er ID will only allow you to open the locker once.

You may have packages located in the MPS Smart Lockers and at the Mail Package Pick-Up Window if you have received multiple packages over several days.

You will need the following identification:

If you are retrieving your package from the MPS Smart Lockers,  you will need your 49er ID and/or the collection pin. The collection pin will be listed in the email that you receive from Mail and Package Services.

If you are retrieving your package from the Mail Package Pick-Up Window, you will need your 49er ID Card or a legal form of identification along with your 800#.

Packages must be picked up from the MPS Smart Lockers within 24 hours of receiving the email. You will receive a reminder email during this 24-hour period. If you are not able to retrieve your package within that time frame, it will be removed from the locker and relocated to the Mailroom. You will need to visit the Mail Package Pick-Up Window to collect your package.

Packages located in the MPS Smart Lockers may be picked up any time the building is open. Weekdays: 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Saturday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday: closed

Packages received by or relocated to the Mailroom must be picked up from the Mail Package Pick-Up Counter within 10 business days. Packages will be returned to the sender if they have not been picked up within this timeframe.

The Mail Package Pickup Window is open Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

It is likely that your locker time had expired and your package has been relocated to the Mailroom. Please visit the Mail Package Pick-Up Window to locate your package.

No. Please continue to use the following format:

Student Name (no nicknames)
Room number and Residence Hall

9201 University City Blvd.

Charlotte, NC 28223

If you are an on-campus resident, you will continue to pick up your postal size mail from your residence hall mailboxes.

If you have rented an on-campus mailbox in Union Station, your mail and packages will continue to go there.

Medications requiring refrigeration will be placed in the Mail and Package Services’ refrigerator and you may pick them up from the Mail Package Pick-Up Counter. You will receive an email stating your package’s location.

All signature items will be picked up at the Mail Package Pick-Up Counter and signed for.

There are no weight restrictions for packages. However, the lockers are only able to accommodate packages up to 3 feet long and 19 inches wide. Packages that won’t fit into the lockers will be kept in the Mailroom.

Meal Plans

Before August 15 when the plan is loaded onto the 49er ID Card, all students can change meal plans without incurring a charge. After that, students may request changes to their meal plans, up through the scheduled two-day room change period (September 5 and 6 for Fall 2019 and January 23 and 24 for Spring 2020 semester).

Requests made after the plan is loaded onto the 49er Card will incur a $25 Meal Plan Processing Charge. Meal plan charges are prorated, whether the student has used the meal plan or not, starting August 15 (Fall) and January 5 (Spring).

To make a change, submit a Meal Plan Selection Form, found on the “Banner Self Service” section of the myuncc.edu portal. You will receive an email confirmation once the request is reviewed and processed.

After the scheduled two-day room change period, no other meal plan changes may be made for the current semester. This also applies to students who have moved from required housing to non-required housing or off campus.

Your 49er ID card provides access to your meal plan. The 49er Card system automatically (and in ‘real time’) keeps track of the two parts of your meal plan — the meal swipes and the declining balance (DB). Meal swipes are used for meals in the all-you-care-to-eat dining facilities: SoVi in South Village Crossing, which is adjacent to the high-rise residence halls, or in Crown Commons located in the Student Union. The plan is accessed by swiping your 49er ID card when entering.

Meals in the 7-Day Unlimited Meals Plan may be used at any time Monday through Sunday. Meals in 5-Day Unlimited Meals Plan may be used at any time Monday through Friday but are not available for use on weekends. You may use as many swipes as you want for yourself but guest swipes are not permitted for use with Unlimited Meal Plans.

Meals in the Block Plans — the 85, 135, 160 and 185 meal swipe plans — are available for the semester and are counted down as they are used. Guest swipes are allowed with Block Plans.

The declining balance (DB) portion of any meal plans is like a prepaid debit account and is designed for use at all dining locations, including the retail venues like Chick-fil-A, Starbucks, Outtakes convenience stores, etc. Each time you use DB you will receive a receipt showing the amount you have spent as well as your remaining balance.

Meal plans are good for the semester and allotted meals and DB both end at the conclusion of the semester.

You have up until plans are billed to view your plan choice through your housing contract in RMS; after the meal plan has been billed you may view your choice by logging into your Student Banner account and review your bill.

Financial aid can pay for your meal plan if you have enough to cover tuition and housing charges first. Financial aid will not prepay for Optional Dining Account (ODA) or 49er Account funds.

No, but you can supplement your meal plan by depositing funds into the Optional Dining account (ODA). ODA has a minimum deposit of $5; funds carry forward and are available as long as the student is enrolled, from semester-to-semester and year-to-year.

Consider the following when selecting your meal plan:

  • The number of meals and snacks you usually eat in a week
  • How often you will dine in all-you-care to eat facilities
  • Your class schedule and where you will spend weekends

Consider an Unlimited Plan if you prefer to eat smaller meals throughout the day. Meal swipes are truly unlimited throughout service hours, and, at South Village, can be used for take-out at SoVi2Go.

A Block Meal Plan is a good choice if you eat fewer large meals during a given week. Meal swipes are used in the dining halls, SoVi and Crown Commons, and may also be used at SoVi2Go. The 85 Block Meal Plan contains 85 meal swipes which average about 5 meals per week; the 135 Block Meal Plan about 8 meals per week; the 160 Block Meal Plan about 10 meals per week; and the 185 Block Meal Plan about 11 meals per week. The meals in these plans may be eaten at any time and the register will display your remaining meal count each time a swipe is used. You may use more than one meal in a dining period and use up to two swipes per meal period to allow others to dine with you. With both Unlimited Plans and Block Plans, the declining balance (DB) portion of the meal plan may be used in all other dining locations.

With both Unlimited Plans and Block Plans, the declining balance (DB) portion of the meal plan may be used in all dining locations including theater and sports concessions and campus convenience stores.

Still need help selecting a plan? Call 704-687-7337 to speak to a Meal Plans specialist who will help you.

Cap & Gown

YES, a hood is included with cap and gown for those receiving master's degrees. There are also hoods available for purchase for those who desire to "upgrade" to a higher quality hood.

Yes, the bookstore is proud to assist faculty with their regalia needs by either ordering custom regalia or by renting regalia for specific ceremonies. Rental regalia can be ordered online starting one month before the Commencement Fair. The last day to order online is one month before Commencement.

Everything you need to know about the ceremony, including tickets to commencement, ceremony times, and directions, can be found at the UNC Charlotte Commencement website.

Custom regalia can be ordered from the Bookstore. Please contact Linda Burke at lburke10@uncc.edu or 704-687-7072. Arrival can be expected in 6-8 weeks. Custom gowns are not returnable and (regrettably) faculty discounts at the Bookstore do not apply.

Rental regalia includes a black on black doctoral gown, doctoral hood from your alma mater, and a mortar board with a gold tassel. If time permits, it is sometimes possible to rent regalia with one's associated degree colors. If this is your preference, the bookstore will need to know no later than one month before Commencement. Please contact the Bookstore for the current rental information.

There is no added expense for your cap and gown. The matriculation fee covers the cost of your cap and gown and diploma.

Hoods for master's candidates are available at the bookstore. The color of your hood is associated with the degree you have earned. Master's degree candidates wear their hoods to the ceremony.

Hoods for Ph.D. candidates are part of the matriculation fee. Doctoral candidates do not have to pick hoods up at the bookstore: the hoods will be brought directly to the ceremony. Some doctoral candidates who will need regalia on a regular basis in their professional career may opt to purchase the UNC Charlotte custom regalia.

Honor cords and stoles are available through the organization that they represent. Please contact your organizational representative for specific details.

The Bookstore carries generic invitations that can be purchased in packs of 10. These are identical to the personalized invitations – including the double envelope – save for the omission of your name and the time of the ceremony. Enclosure cards on which to inscribe this missing information are also available.

Balfour is the exclusive producer of the official UNC Charlotte class rings. They will be on campus two other weeks during the semester. Check the store calendar or ask the store manager for specific dates. You may also contact class-ring representatives.

Certainly; personalized invitations can be ordered online at  Balfour, or Signature Announcements.

Representatives from Balfour/Artcarved will be present to assist graduating students in ordering invitations and selecting a class ring, pendant, or pin, and make connections with the Alumni Association.

Gowns are sized by height so there is no need for special measuring; they tend to run short so if you prefer a longer look, select a gown that is an inch or two longer than your actual height. Caps are one size fit all.

Commencement fairs at UNC Charlotte are usually sponsored by the Bookstore in October (Fall Semester) and March (Spring Semester); please refer to the Bookstore Calendar or contact store management for specific dates pertaining to the current semester.

Caps and gowns are available at the UNC Charlotte Bookstore each semester starting with the first day of the Commencement Fair. The deadline to pick up caps and gowns is November 30.


Many of the University's departments, divisions and student groups have developed trademarks to promote their specific group. These marks, however, are used only by these areas and are not available to the general public. Any unauthorized use of these marks is considered an infringement of our trademark rights and we will take the legal steps necessary to correct violations. Examples of departments with registered trademarks that fall into this category are Alumni Affairs and Niner Nation.

Yes. UNC Charlotte will not allow its marks to be applied on consumables, health & beauty products, or tobacco and alcohol related products.

Absolutely! But it is important to use the marks correctly. University Communications' design toolkit provides some tips on how to use marks in accordance with University standards. If you have additional questions, please contact Ryan Honeyman, Creative Services Director.

No! University schools, departments, and affiliated organizations may not assign, sublicense, or modify the name UNC Charlotte or The University of North Carolina at Charlotte or UNC Charlotte or any marks of the University. All products which University schools, departments, or affiliates wish to have produced bearing the name and marks of the University are regulated by the Trademark Licensing Program.

Yes! University schools, departments, and affiliated organizations may use the University's name or marks in their literature, signage, etc, but must have the design approved prior to publication and use by the Publications Office. If the school, department or affiliated organization wishes to use the University's name or marks on items to be given away or used as uniforms, the design must be submitted to the Trademark Licensing Program for approval.

A licensed vendor must be used whether royalties are required or not. Please remember that the University's marks may not be altered in any way. You may not incorporate the University's marks with a commercial vendor's mark.

The UNC Charlotte Trademark Licensing Program is committed to protecting UNC Charlotte's trademarks and the reputation they represent. We work with CLC Collegiate Licensing Company and law enforcement agencies to enforce our trademark rights. No use of UNC Charlotte trademarks is permitted without the written consent of the UNC Charlotte Trademark Licensing Program or Publications Office. Any information regarding possible trademark infringement should be reported to Tom Kehoe at Tom.Kehoe@clc.com.

Look for the label. Every vendor who is licensed is required to attach the "Officially Licensed Collegiate Products" label shown here. Be sure that the item you purchase is as authentic as your support for UNC Charlotte. And because each licensed vendor returns a portion of the money paid for the item to the University, purchasing only items that are licensed supports UNC Charlotte. Please support the vendors that support our University. Look for the label!

CLC Collegiate Licensing Company is the licensing representative for UNC Charlotte. CLC is responsible for administering the licensing program, including processing applications, collecting royalties, enforcing trademarks and pursuing new market opportunities. CLC may be contacted at licensing@clc.com or by contacting our representative, Tom Kehoe, at tkehoe@learfieldlicensing.com.

There are three types of licenses:

Restricted: Designed primarily for locally-based vendors to sell to internal campus departments and student groups; products are not for resale but are for internal consumption, uniforms, or promotional giveaways.

Local: Designed for in-state vendors that wish to obtain a full retail license to sell merchandise; limit of 5 universities on the agreement within the state or nearby region (150 miles).

Standard: Designed for larger companies with established products and distribution channels; unlimited number of universities.

Not every vendor that applies for a licensed is approved.

Items such as compliance history, accounting history, marketing plan, product/design uniqueness, product quality, and market need/saturation are taken into account when determining whether or not a vendor will be licensed.

Every vendor who is licensed is required to attach the "Officially Licensed Collegiate Products" label shown here.

A trademark is a word(s), logo or package design, or a combination of them, used by a manufacturer or merchant to identify its goods and distinguish them from others (Borchard, "A Trademark is Not a Copyright or a Patent," 2002).

CLC Collegiate Licensing Company is the licensing representative for UNC Charlotte. CLC is responsible for administering the licensing program, including processing applications, collecting royalties, enforcing trademarks and pursuing new market opportunities. CLC may be contacted at licensing@clc.com or by contacting our representative, Tom Kehoe, Tom.Kehoe@clc.com.

The symbol "TM" stands for trademark. The symbol "SM" stands for service mark. Both of these are informal symbols that indicate you claim common law trademark rights to a name, or logo. These two symbols are used prior to obtaining full federal registration.

The symbol (R), the phrase "Registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office," or the abbreviation "Reg U.S. Pat. & Tm. Off." denote that the mark has been granted full federal registration. This means that the owner of the mark may prosecute anyone who uses the mark without permission.

Trademark licensing is a contractual relationship under which a trademark owner grants another the right to use a mark, subject to terms of the contract. Trademark licensing does not transfer ownership of the mark (CLC, "Licensing Basics," 2003).

Departments must go through the Purchasing Department to place an order for these items. The Purchasing Agent will forward information to the Licensing Department and obtain permission. Please be aware that University departments are required to adhere to the same guidelines as commercial vendors.

The University allows its marks to be applied to a wide variety of products. Apparel items, i.e. shirts, sweats, hats, scarves, jackets, and children's clothing items, are the most popular. But our marks appear on many non-apparel items as well. Examples of non-apparel items are golf accessories, key chains, frames, glassware, blankets, umbrellas, jewelry, and notebooks.

However, the University does not allow its marks to be applied on consumables, health & beauty products, or tobacco and alcohol related products.

A determination as to whether or not an item is acceptable is made at the time the vendor submits a request for a new product approval.

Any mark, logo, symbol, nickname, letter(s), word(s) or combination of these that can be associated with the University qualifies as a trademark.

Any individual or manufacturer wishing to use the marks, logos and symbols of the University must obtain a license. Although departments and student groups affiliated with the University do not need to be licensed themselves, they must use a licensed vendor to produce items bearing the University's marks. It is typically much easier to work with an established University licensee than to try and license a new product or idea. Both the University Trademark Licensing Program Office and CLC Collegiate Licensing Company can provide you with information on the products produced by all licensees so you can match your needs with the right company. A list of current licensees by product is available on the Licensed Vendor page.

Contactless Capable

This may damage the chip and cause the contactless feature to stop working. If you choose to punch holes in your card, you are responsible for the cost of replacement if it no longer works ($20).

Due to security concerns, everyone will be required to pick up their new 49er Card in person.

Everyone who studies or works on the main or Center City campus will get a new card.

Submitting a new photo is encouraged, but not required. You can now submit a new photo online. Once logged in, click on "Profile" and then the “Click to submit a new photo” link. 

You also may visit the 49er Card Office in the Auxiliary Services Building, or the ID Office in the Student Union, to have a new photo taken.

Visit the 49er Card Office in the Auxiliary Services building or the ID Office in the Student Union. New cards are created and issued on the spot. Lost or damaged cards are $20.

University alumni can continue using their current cards. Those with emeritus status are eligible for a new 49er Card.

You can continue using the paper card that was mailed to you when you started your program. If you plan to be on the main campus, you are welcome to stop by the 49er Card Office and be issued a new contactless card. The functions of the contactless card are used on the main and Center City campuses exclusively. You may also request a new non-photo Distance Education card through the Office of Distance Education.


  • Meal plans (meal swipes and Declining Balance)
  • Campus spending accounts (49er Account, DB, ODA)
  • Campus housing access (resident students)


  • Library services
  • Gym, academic building, and lab access


  • Kronos timekeeping systems (staff ); those who use Kronos clocks should continue using their old card until this date.


  • Charlotte Area Transit application (buses and light rail)

No. You may pick up your card at the Center City administrative office during normal business hours.

  • The number beginning with 800 is your student or faculty/staff ID number. This number identifies you with the University and will not change. 
  • The 16-digit number is your card number. This number links the card to you. The number is generated when a card is issued or reissued. Should you need to replace the card, the number will change.

This number identifies you for CATS-LYNX ridership.

No. There is only one active card per cardholder.

All older cards are no longer active and must be replaced with the new contactless cards.

The campus-wide recard event has ended. However, your new card is still available for now in the 49er Card & Meal Plans Office (Auxiliary Services Building 175, between Prospector and Craver Road).


  • Monday-Friday: 8:00 AM-5:00 PM
  • Saturday and Sunday: Closed


  • Yourself - for security reasons, cards must be received in person and cannot be delivered or picked up for departments. 
  • Photo ID - current 49er ID Card, driver's license or passport

Everywhere you could use your old card, only it now has an added contactless functionality that allows you to tap rather than swipe at some card readers.

Residence halls that are currently tap-enabled: Belk, Hawthorn, Holshouser, Hunt, Laurel, Martin, Miltimore, Oak. Housing not yet contactless capable: Lynch, Moore, Sanford, Scott, Wallis, Witherspoon. Most point-of-sale registers on campus can be tapped (except Athletics concessions).

Preferred Name Change

Students, faculty, and staff may designate a preferred name with which they identify and by which they prefer to be known. However, UNC Charlotte reserves the right to deny a request to include a preferred name if the request is fraudulent, carries connotations offensive to good taste and decency, or violates the Board Policy Manual, University Regulations, and/or the Student Code of Conduct. Issues relating to such matters may be referred to the Dean of Student's Office for consideration and resolution. UNC Charlotte will investigate reports of misuse and abuse of the preferred name process/policy. Depending on the circumstances, those involved in such investigations may include Human Resources, Dean of Students, Provost, University Legal Counsel, and/or appropriate Law Enforcement agencies.

No, a preferred name includes only your first name. If you wish to change your middle or last name, you will need to file an application with the State of North Carolina. 

No, the decision to request a new card is entirely optional.

After submitting your preferred name in Banner Self-Service, allow 24 hours for your record to update and export to the UNC Charlotte 49er ID Card system. You may then request a new 49er ID Card at the 49er Card Office located in the Auxiliary Services Building, at the ID Office located in the Popp Martin Student Union or at the Center City Campus.

If you exchange your current 49er ID Card there is no cost to replace your card due to a name change, otherwise there will be a $20.00 replacement fee due at the time of card distribution.

Many members of the UNC Charlotte community use a first name that differs from their legal name. These may include individuals who prefer to use:

  • a middle name instead of a first name
  • an anglicized name
  • a name to which the individual is in the process of legally changing
  • a name that better represents the individual's gender identity

A first name by which an individual wishes to be identified that is other than the individual's legal name. UNC Charlotte provides a process for any student or employee to include a preferred first name. While UNC will work toward primary use of the preferred name, use of one's legal name will continue to be necessary in some instances.

  • Online People Finder
  • 49er ID Card
  • UNC Charlotte email
  • Diploma
  • Degree Audit
  • My UNC Charlotte
  • Connect
  • Housing assignments
  • NinerCentral

Please be aware that many systems and many of the "screens" that staff use in our information system only display legal first names. Future preferred first name use is planned for:

  • Self-Service Banner
  • Class rosters
  • Advisee reports
  • Grade reports
  • Canvas
  • Campus internal reporting
  • Unofficial transcripts
  • Course evaluations

Legal first name must be used for:

  • Bursar/Student accounts
  • Financial aid
  • Enrollment inquiries
  • Official transcripts
  • Student health insurance
  • Payroll


Yes and no. Students residing in the residence halls will not have their mail automatically forwarded unless they put in a Change of Address form with Mail & Package Services; this also pertains to students who move off campus. It is the student's responsibility to file a Change of Address card at Mail & Package Services before you move off campus. Fill the form out, and mail it DIRECTLY TO US at:

UNC Charlotte Mail & Package Services
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte NC 28223

Note: Do not use the prepaid service on the back of the post card, as this may take up to 4 weeks for it to arrive at UNC Charlotte Mail & Package Services. Place the card in an envelope and mail it in directly to Mail & Package Services, or drop it off in person at Mail & Package Services. Do not allow the USPS personnel to talk you out of mailing it this way – they do not understand that the USPS does NOT forward your mail, we do… For questions or assistance on filling out a change of address form, please contact 704-687-0383.
Note: Mail will automatically forward to students who are renting a campus mailbox at the Prospector or Student Union location.

Yes, we receive updated rosters several times a week. Each piece of mail delivered to the University is checked against the most recent roster to ensure proper delivery. If you feel there has been an error in delivery, call Mail & Package Services at 704-687-0383.

All mail that is received for students is checked against the current roster provided by Housing. If you are not listed on the roster, your mail will be returned to sender until you turn in a change of address card to Mail & Package Services. For questions or assistance on filling out a change of address form please contact 704 687 0383.

Textbook Rental

Rental title selection is based on several criteria:

  • Rental titles are iodentified by Barnes & Noble if they have a high national potential for resale.
  • A title that does not have a high national potential for resale may still be included in the program if a UNC Charlotte instructor commits to using it for at least four consecutive semesters.
  • Books in the program must be stand-alone (i.e., not packaged with software, access codes, or other items).
  • "Consumable" books (containing loose or perforated pages) are not eligible for the program.


You can save 55% off the new book price. Keep in mind that many purchased (i.e., non-rental) titles – including used books sold at 25% off the new book price – may be sold back at the end of the semester for up to 55% of the original price, so the savings depends on the individual title. There are pros and cons of both buying and renting textbooks.

Yes, you may highlight or mark in a rented book in the same way as if you'd purchased the book with plans of selling it back to the bookstore at the end of the semeter. In other words, reasonable highlights and markings are acceptable as long as the book remains in salable condition.

Cash, check, credit card, debit card, 49er Account, or Barnes & Noble gift cards. However, a valid credit card with an expiration date later than the rental return due date must also be provided to complete the rental agreement.

You are responsible for returning the book by the deadline specified in your agreement. If the book is lost, stolen, or not returned on time, there is a charge in attition to the original rental fee equal to 75% of the new book price, plus a 7.5% processing fee.

The return policy for drop/add is the same as for a purchased book: You have until the end of the drop period to return the book, with a drop slip and receipt.

You may convert your rental to a purchase but only during the first two weeks of class.

The rental period is for the duration of a semester. Books are due back by the last day of finals. You can return books in person or mail them to the bookstore.

Because students asked for it and because the University, together with our bookstore partners, Barnes & Noble College Bookstores, are committed to actively pursuing ways to make textbooks more affordable.